Sunday 8 June 2014

Blog 7 - cod, cod, cod......


8 June

Still in the Lofoton Islands, sun still shing (although wind chilly, well it is in the Arctic Circle I suppose..) and looking at scenery which drains you of superlatives. Writing this from a small, very basic campsite next to a chalk-white beach. Superb. Finally left the main roads and spent the day meandering along tiny roads (giving myself and other drivers major frights at times, this is a wide old van....) and we are thoroughly enjoying ourselves.







Seen so much cod it's not funny. They are decapitated, gutted, matched in pairs by size and hung on A frame racks to dry. And I mean  racks and racks of them; you know they are around the corner as you smell them before you see them!

























I also learnt that scientists have discovered that cod grunt to attract mates (ummm sounds familiar) and that it can be loud enough to block a submarines sonar....what. more does a girl need to know about cod I ask myself??



















Well I found out more...yes, we visited the (Im)famous Lofoten Stockfish Museum (well it is Sunday and everything else was closed is my excuse) and actually it was very interesting and I now know that most of the dried fish goes to Italy, with the fish heads going to Africa!! Am now totally over the fish, so no more will be said except that for some unknown reason we bought a huge one to bring home. This is now resting in the bike shed, smelling pretty foul. If some of you are lucky, you might even get to taste it....

One last thing, they actually have a music festival here called Codstock I kid you not and here's the proof. pity we missed it....








No comments: