Monday 16 June 2014

Blog 10 - Eider Down and all things fluffy...

14 June
3,129 miles travelled
Travelling down the Arctic Highway now and writing this from a place called Torghatten and the sun has shone all day.



We are heading for an island called Vega, with its 6000 skerries and islets, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site not because it is beautiful but because people have lived and worked here for 1500 years maintaining a living in an inhospitable seascape. (I quote) This is also where the unique practice of eider down harvesting is carried out- now that I have got to see so it's off to the museum for us!

The Eider Down Museum


Down nest with eggs




The Islanders build little nest sites for the ducks which they line with dried seaweed and these nests are made from all sorts of flotsam and jetsom, as below...



Well the museum WAS interesting but sadly I didn't end up buying a duvet which was a snip at between £2000 to £4000!! Having seen how long it takes to collect and clean the Down, I'm not surprised . Settled for a very small lunch for £45.....including a bottle of water with rhubarb in it (not sure why but it looked nice :)

Ted with his Lofoten dried cod.....still smelling evil in the bike shed!!!



Now I ask myself, can I ignore the Woodchip (and all things wood) Museum further on down the road???? Probably....


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: