Saturday 20 February 2010

Blog 3 - Patagonian Chile – Glaciers and all that stuff......

Left Buenos Aires and flew for 3 hours down to the southern tip of Argentina to the Patagonian Steppes. Arrived in El Calafate, a small busy frontier-like town in the middle of nowhere. Really feels like being at the end of the world (which basically we are I suppose...). Weather cold, bright and sunny – just how I like it these days. D very happy snappy and spotting the birdies, including flamingoes. Note for the birders: he spotted a Spectacled Tyrant – please say you are impressed!!!)

Just returned from a day trip to the Perito Moreno Glacier which was spectacular with thundering shards of falling ice which frustratingly cannot be captured by camera or video (yes, we have both this time folks...). A fascinating fact is that the surface area of the glacier is approximately 195km which I am told is approx the size of the New Forest in Hampshire!!! It is 5km wide and stands 60m above the surface of the lake. We walked along paths overlooking it, then jumped on a boat and sailed up the lake for a closer look. I wish I could describe the colour of it but words fail me - my apologies.

Having a great time so far, the wines are very good, Doug loving that steak and I am eating Italian a lot it seems. Chilean vegetarians are few and far between, such is life!
Tomorrow is a 10 hour trip to an Estancia (farm to you and me) including a cruise to other glaciers, 4x4 travel up a mountain then some trekking – sorry I'm a bit vague, it keeps changing!

People very friendly here as ever, and also my size – mainly short and a tad on the wide side. Hotels comfy so all in all, great so far …............. We leave the day after tomorrow for a 100 mile drive over the Andes into Chile to an eco-camp where I am told there are no Internet facilities so will catch up later. We are spending 4 days in an eco-dome (???) and doing lots of walking, along with some birdie stuff and no doubt some drinking. Bring it on!

A&D
Ted glacier spotting - love his new hat!
Perito Moreno Glacier 1
Perito Moreno Glacier 2
Perito Moreno Glacier 3

1 comment:

Linda Chapple said...

Loving your posts! I'm with you every step of the way if only in the mind. Can't wait to hear about your stay in your very own Eden Project.Sounds very interesting.... Make sure Ted's got his hat on when near glaciers! ATB Linda