Monday 25 December 2006

Swimming in a volcano!

Saturday 23 December
Yesterday we headed into Whalers Bay on Deception Island. Another deserted whaling station and research base. It was very bleak, all rusty buildings, abandoned machinery, volcanic ash and whale bones. The bay is one of many inside the volcanic ring - it was very very cold I kid you not - and everything you looked at was in black and white. The crew dug a pit at the edge of the water and as they dug down warm water spouted up - we were then encouraged to take off 15 layers of clothes, swim in the freezing sea and then jump in the hot pool. As you can imagine there were not many takers but you know I never let anything get in the way of a good story and if you look hard at the photo you may well see a pink blob yakking in the middle of the pit (click here for photo)! Bovey pool it was not, although the conversation went along the same lines... It was amazingly refreshing, no to be honest it nearly stopped my heart but I am only here once so I had to do it - of course you know who was taking the photos and therefore could not join me?? I am trying to keep this short as so much is going on and I don't want to miss a thing. The day finished with a blinding sunset at around 11.15pm - sunrise was at 2.15am I'm told but I missed that one...)

Finally, setting foot on the Antarctic Peninsula -Sunday 24 December
Woke this morning to brilliant sunshine (I am sitting typing this with a sunburnt face), icebergs, mountains and deep deep snow everywhere I looked. Again, I cannot really describe what I am seeing, it is just breath-taking whichever way I look - it is like being in my very own Christmas card (yes, I know that was slushy but bear with me eh?) Attached is a photo of us taken on the Peninsula, and we both wish you all a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Have to go now, another mountain to climb then Christmas carols in the bar. Damned whale spotted off the bow, bye for now.


Merry Christmas from Antarctica!


Love to you all. Annie & Doug xx

No comments: