Friday 12 November 2010

Blog 5: The long and very winding roads into Central Bhutan

Now travelling through the centre of Bhutan and the countryside is changing, no more terraced fields, more wide fertile valleys. The climate is also changing – colder and windier... I am writing this snuggled up in bed in front of a wood burner in the town of Jakar. Still all well with us, visiting one (or more) monasteries most days and doing some trekking. Can't remember if I have mentioned the roads but they are incredibly narrow with a sheer drop on one side for most of our travels. Our driver is brilliant and has nerves of steel, I would hate to drive here. Lorries and cars squeeze past each other with inches to spare but no-one ever seems to have a scratch on their lorry/car – I am still not sure how!

The scary roads



Chendebji Chorten


Food excellent, tonight was buckwheat noodles (served with chilli of course) amongst other vegetables and we finally got to try the local drink – ara. Strange tasting stuff, think I will stick to buttermilk tea (which the others tell me is seriously odd...)

Heading into Eastern Bhutan next which is the least visited part of the country, with many settlements in isolated valleys accessible only by foot. We are heading for Mongar and the festivals where we will hopefully see lots of monks performing sacred cham dances to the sounds of horns and symbols (I quote...)

All of us are well although I seem to have headaches but am told by my medical team that this is either due to a) altitude – we are at around 3000m+ or b) too much Red Panda beer (whose microbrewery we visited today (11 Nov). I can only sigh!


Sampling the Red Panda Beer



Till next time..........................

1 comment:

bob said...

clearly not a sheila friendly country