Friday 29 February 2008

Tortugero & La Fortuna

Tortugero
Well we headed out by bus and then boat to the village of Tortugero - sun still shining thank goodness, heating up nicely but not too humid. The boat trip was 2 hours through the rainforest to a lodge on the Caribbean side, so lodge has rainforest on one side and the ocean on the other. This is a really important nesting area for green and leatherback turtles, although we are right at the beginning of the breeding season so not much chance of seeing much in that direction. There are, however, more birds than you can shake a stick at so D is in 7th heaven. Had my first dose of D&V so my shorts now fit quite nicely thank you (every cloud and silver lining etc,....)


Boat trip to Tortugero

Tortugero village
Yellow Crowned Night Heron
Poison Dart Frog
The gorgeous Mario, our guide at Tortuguero

Living on beans and rice but D as usual eating everything with (or without) a pulse. Group is 15 in all - all Canadians with 2 other Brits and 1 very loud American lady (sorry Rachel!) but all are excellent fun although they don't drink as much as we are used to....

Been trekking through the forest to find spider monkeys, howlers (very noisy monkeys), white faced Monkeys, tapirs and yesterday I finally found a sloth (asleep of course in a tree, he had been there 2 days I was told), Sounds like someone close to my heart... We did wander around at night trying to find those amazing green tree frogs often heard, rarely seen. I was persuaded (once tum better) to eat a couple of termites which taste like pepper (believe me I am getting sick of beans and rice so it was a welcome change, even tho my conscience suffered a little....) D wouldn't touch them for some reason, guess he is getting enough protein!

For the birders amongst you, D says to look up Montezuma Orpendula!!!! He has also seen lots of turkey vultures, which followed us when we went kayaking on our own down the river - they obviously saw a lunch opportunity!!!

La Fortuna
Writing this to you from La Fortuna, a small town in the foothills of Mount Arenal, a still steaming spewing and very active volcano. Again in another fab lodge (comfort trip sooooo much nicer than the usual basic we do) nothing like lying in a pool all alone watching the volcano sending up wispy black clouds into the blue sky - sorry almost got poetic there.... Yes, I know, you hate me!!! Last night went up the volcano to watch the lava pouring down the mountain - very dramatic. Also yesterday went on trek through different type of rainforest crossing hanging bridges along the way - not good for a girl who does not like heights!


Our cabin in La Fortuna
Arenal Volcano at night - awesome!
Arenal Volcano at dusk - almost awesome
Arenal Volcan during day -pretty but not awesome!

This morning I went canyoneering with a couple of others, which is basically an adreneline high- rappelling (like abseiling) down 7 waterfalls all different heights. This was pretty scary for me, not altogether sure why I did it but there you go. It was amazing and I have a few bruises and a scuffed knee but it was very different from anything I have done before. Doug has gone off on a day trek looking for more birds and wildlife, his tum not too good today so hope he makes it home!
Tomorrow we move on and this is going to be a first..... 5 of us are splitting from the group and going by jeep, boat across a lake, horseback (yes, I really said horseback!!!!) then jeep to our next destination which is Monteverde - this is where we go ziplining I think. It is most likely that neither D or I will be able to walk after 2 hours on a horse, I still can't quite believe I have managed to persuade him to do it.... Maybe it was the lure of being off the beaten track (and away from noise of the group for a bit).

Getting ready to canyoneer with Hilary
Doing it ..... scary or what 1!!
Doing it.......scary or what 2!

Just loving it ....

Anyway, having a fantastic time of course, can't believe it has been a week since we left. Please email me with any news which I will pick up at Monteverde I expect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Doug and Annie - I miss you guys!! I must say, I was not surprised that there were Canadians with you that did not drink
"as much as you are used to". If Africa was any indication (just ask Teddy!) their task was not a small one. (to other blog readers - just kidding!) But us Canadians are usually good at keeping up...
I got your postcard from CR today. Sounds like a fantastic trip. I see Annie that you have mastered the 'heights' thing - canyoneering, ziplining and all. Makes Microlighting over Victoria Falls seem rather tame, doesn't it? I must admit, I'm with Doug on the termites. Plenty of other protein to be had.
Enjoy your travels and keep up the Blog. It's a good read and view! Will be in touch by email. With any luck, I'll travel with you guys again sometime in future. Perhaps a reunion at "Burt's Place" in SA.
Cheers,
Kevin